Rich “Coffee” Barbeque Sauce
Use this coffee barbecue sauce as a marinade or finishing sauce for grilled or baked pork, beef, or chicken. The sauce may be covered and refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
• 1/2 cup brewed espresso or strong, dark coffee
• 1 cup ketchup
• 1/2 cup cider vinegar
• 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
• 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped, about 1 cup
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
• 3 fresh hot chili peppers, such as jalapeno, or hotter if desired, seeded
• 2 Tablespoons hot dry mustard mixed with 1 tablespoon warm water
• 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
• 2 Tablespoons chili powder
Put espresso or coffee, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, onion, garlic, Chile peppers, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, and chili powder in a small pot, stir them together, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Lower the heat so the mixture is just simmering and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, let the mixture cool, and then puree it in a blender or food processor fitted with the steel blade.
The barbecue sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
• Grilled Pork Chops with Coffee Barbecue Sauce
Yield: about 3 cups
Recipe Source: Chef Michael Lomonaco, Noche Restaurant, New York, NY
Reprinted with permission.